Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Busy week

Sorry, it's been kinda crazy around here lately.  I spent the last two weeks in Denver and I just got back to Odessa yesterday.  I've been bad about getting on my computer but I am now back in the digital world!  

I don't know if any of you know but our contract on the house in Odessa fell thru.  It's a very complicated story but the long and short of it is that we now have our house back on the market.  We were set to close on July 9th but that's not happening now so I will not be in Denver anytime too soon.  As you can imagine- I am NOT happy about this development but what can you do?  

Our home in Denver is coming right along.  In fact, I received an email this morning that I can go approve the granite that we ordered so that they can start working on the cuts.  

However last week we hit a major snag with the house.  See when we signed the contract to build the house, Mark was in Denver and I was in Odessa.  Mark and I had to pick the color scheme from the samples that they had to offer but we did it over the phone since I wasn't there to see the color chips in person.  One of the model homes had the paint selection that we chose, it looked good on the model home, and Mark was happy with our choice.  

So when I arrived 2 weeks ago in Denver, I went to the job site and was absolutely HORRIFIED by the color of our house.  It was caramel color with chocolate brown trim.  It was HIDEOUS!!!  

Old House Color




































I immediately went to the builder and explained that we did NOT choose those colors and I showed him the model home that represented the colors we chose.  He looked up the info and explained that the paint palate that we had opted for wasn't available anymore so they had picked some other one that should have "matched it exactly".  Um...not!  

Fortunately the builder agreed to repaint the house in another color scheme that is now available.  Yesterday I went by to check the house before I left Denver and I am happy to report that I am THRILLED with the new color.  
New House Color



























The inspector is supposed to be by sometime this week to do the final approval on the HVAC, plumbing, framing, electrical, etc.  Once that is done then they will start with the coverup and things should move pretty quickly from that point forward.  The building superintendent gave us a rough closing date of September 10th which is sooner than we had expected! 



On June 26-29 I went to my 35th class reunion in Las Vegas.We had about 50 people attend, which is much smaller than our usual gatherings that we usually have in El Paso, but since it was smaller we all were able to really catch up with one another and we sure enjoyed our time together.  

We had a golf "tournament" at Nellis AFB and between the scenery, the heat (111 degrees) and the lack of humidity we all felt like we were back in El Paso after all!  


The reunion was held at the Golden Nugget and since I had never been to downtown Las Vegas it was a different experience than staying down on the Strip.    Fremont street is what I always imagined what Las Vegas was supposed to look like.  


Besides the golf tournament, we had an afternoon at the pools (in rented cabanas thank God), an evening dinner, we rode the Ferris Wheel, saw 'Rock of Ages', and went dancing at a club that one of our classmates owns near the Strip.  I don't know about y'all but 3 days is about one day more than I like being in Vegas.  I'm not a gambler so there's only so much of the crowds, the noise and the cigarette smoke that I can take. But all-in-all it was a great time and I was so glad to see some of my former classmates.



No comments:

Post a Comment